Join Somerville Media Center for one of the most brutal sporting events of the month: The Spelling Bee! Want to be a part of the fun festivities, sign up below!
Re-live your glory years as a grammar school know-it-all! Show your 6th grade English teacher you turned out literate after all. Prove to your friends that you are “indeed” (not “indicted”) a good speller and it’s your phone’s autocorrect getting you into trouble. **This is a fundraiser event for SMC!
When: Tuesday, September 18 (6:30-8:30 pm)
Where: The Independent (75 Union Square, Somerville, MA 02143)
Registration: Sign up here!
- This is a team competition. A team is composed of two spellers. The role of speller will alternate between the two team members within each round.
- This is a timed competition. There will be two 1-minute rounds of spelling.
- All correctly spelled words in the first round will be worth 1 point each. All correctly spelled words in the second round will be worth 2 points each.
- The team with the highest total score from the two rounds will be the winner.
- Spellers must spell each word from start to finish in one attempt. Spellers may not “pass” on any words.
- Spellers may request that a word be pronounced again.
- Any question about the spelling of a word must be referred to the judges at the end of each team’s 1-minute round.
- The judges’ decisions on all questions shall be final.
- In the event of a tie the scores for the second round of spelling will determine the placement of teams.