January Member of the Month: Bob Shane
Crushed Velvet Soul
Here is the latest “Inside the SMC studio,” a monthly blog post highlighting our members and who they are! There is a set series of 10 questions they answer. This month, we hear from Bob Shane, one of the movers and shakers here at Somerville Media Center!
1. Who are you and what do you do? My name is Bob Shane, and I am a self employed “sign guy.” I make and install signs.
2. What was the strangest job you’ve had? Probably the jobs where I have to cram myself into a small area like a vitrine in order to install a sign.
3. Where is your favorite place to retreat for mental or physical health? Home in bed watching a movie.
4. Who were your early creative mentors or source for inspiration? Public School Educators. Props to teachers!
5. How do you get past creative roadblocks? I switch gears completely. Which is easy for me because I have a million different hobbies, interests, and personalities.
6. How has SCATV/BFR been a positive influence in your creative career? Just knowing SCATV/BFR exists in my neighborhood is a positive influence. Curating a weekly radio show is also a great creative exercise.
7. What is your favorite music album? Now That’s What I Call Music Vol. 6,394,928. Just kidding! Bread Alone by the late great Junie Morrison RIP :,(
8. If you could have entrance music, what would it be? That’s easy! The Sanford and Sons Theme. AKA “The Streatbeater” by the one and only Quincy Jones
9. What’s your favorite spot in Somerville to hangout or visit? My sign shop/art studio has become my adult treehouse.
10. In 140 characters or less, how would you pitch your show or who you are? If funk were food you would never go hungry. Tune into CRUSHED VELVET SOUL for the best in classic disco funk and modern boogie!